Thursday, September 10, 2009

APPS!


APPS! No, not delicious apps from applebees, I am talking applications for an iPhone- specifically, social networking apps. Now, I know that my North Dakota readers are saying, "But, Zack, there's no iPhones in North Dakota." Well, I am sure they will be here soon enough. So here are a few top apps to get when we can get one:


Facebook- Not too much to explain here, it is Facebook for your phone. Some of you probably have it on your Blackberries or other smart phones. It is basically Facebook without all the bells and whistles like Farmtown and stupid quizzes. You can comment, post, poke, add friends, and look at pictures.


MySpace Mobile- Since Facebook had an app, of course MySpace has one. It is a watered down MySpace just like the Facebook app.


Twitterific- I know this is getting redundant but Twitterfic is pretty much just like Twitter, read tweets and tweet.


Twittelator- This is very similar to Twitterific, however, what is special is that it can notify your friends if you need help and can show them a map of your location. You can also post photos.


Mobile Flickr- This is a very good application according to rotorblog.com. The application is very similar to the website. You can take snapshots and upload them straight to the website. You can also share photos, look at contact's photos, add favorites, tags, view photostreams, and do everything else you can do on regular Flickr.


Eventful- This app lets you find out what acts are at your favorite venues. It also lets you send friends this information and find out what your friends are doing.


SnapMyLife- This app lets you share photos and view photos. It also has location and mapping features.


These are just a few social networking apps for iPhones. One of the most interesting apps I saw while looking for apps was Zintin. It was recently shut down, but, what it consisted of was using GPS to discover new friends or find out which friends are around you. From there you can share photos with people.


These are a few social networking apps for iPhone. Here you can find a few others. It is amazing all the things that you can do with phones these days. They are slowly becoming mobile computers. Do you think there will be a time where we don't really use laptops, just our fancy phones? How many years until the Digital Communications class learns about adding apps to social network? Have you used any of these apps on your phone?

4 comments:

  1. I am sooo glad that we can use the iPhone here in Maryland. I use many of the applications on my phone daily.

    I have appl that is called “ZoomIn” which is a way to take zoom pictures with my phone. This is really great for getting those candid shots of my new granddaughter.

    Another app I use often is the “Maps” from Google. Since I do not have a navigation system in my car this gets me from point A to B without having to read a map or getting lost. It also tells me where traffic is backed up so I can find another route.

    One last app I really use is called “AroundMe.” It lets me search for restaurants, shops, banks, hospitals and more. Then it knows if I am walking or driving and gives me the correct directions to get there. Last time I was in DC it helped me find a great restaurant within 2 blocks which was great since it was absolutely steaming HOT outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on how you discribed Zintin, I'm glad that they shut it down. I would not want people to be able to find me with GPS. I do not have any apps on my phone. I have no need for them. My best friend on the other hand has a ton of apps on her phone. I struggle using it though, I feel like I am behind times or something when I use her phone as it has all of the latest gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zack,

    I too long for the days when the iPhone will come to our area. I have been pretty satisfied with all of the Apple products I’ve ever owned and think I would like the iPhone as well. It amazes me how there seems to be an app for everything. The app Eventful sounds the most interesting to me. I never know when or where my favorite artists are performing. I always find out when the tickets are already sold out and get mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. iPhones are definitely taking over. It seems like every restaurant and shop has an application for the iPhone. I even saw one for a popular insurance company. They are taking notice that it is becoming the new age way to do things by using your phone so they are joining in. Being down here in Baton Rouge, LA where EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE has an iPhone, I see people on their phones constantly. I still just have my little 'old LG Voyager that suites me just fine. I have no apps on it, heck I don't even have the internet on it. Sometimes when we are out with friends and they are constantly on their phone checking Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter it gets a little annoying. Some days I refuse to even turn my computer on or answer phone calls/texts and all I want to do is stay away from anything technology. And Yes, I think the smart phones will start taking over. There will be those that refuse to, but the younger generations are following in the new age technology's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete